
Here is my 1st attempt at canning. Yep I said it. I did attempt to can. My mother is going to dying because she knows how much I love gardening and then having to can. I never liked it growing up and I'm not sure I like it now. It was a really good thing I had a husband who actually paid attention growing up because I'm a complete idiot when it comes to canning. We planted one cucumber plant and a few weeks ago I thought I was going to have to go to the store and buy more cucumbers so that I could get some pickles canned. Well I went out on Thursday and sure enough there was more than I could possible expect on that one plant. We were able to pick 16 good size cucumbers. Scott and I went and bought all the stuff we needed to can some Dill Pickles. (When we get some more cucumbers I will have to do sweet pickles for Scott). We had nothing so we had to buy the bottles and even a pot in order to do the cold packing. I was shocked it only took 2 hours to get all of this done from start to finish. Scott walked me through every step because like I said I'm an idiot when it comes to this kind of thing. Every jar ended up sealing and I was so happy. Now we just have to wait 6 to 12 months to make sure we did it right and they taste okay. So now we wait.
4 comments:
Wow can't believe you have already started. I hated canning growing up but find it great to eat that which I do. Too bad it is never as good as what my mother did
Love the picture of you and Scott, up top. I canned for the first time last year. Jam...grape and blackberry. I hate to can and garden also. However, I was thankful that I am learning to can. Enjoy it in the months ahead!!:)
Oh, that is funny. You will have to check out my blog for our canning. Let me just say never buy 4 bushels of peaches. :)
Looks good. Send me a jar!!!
Post a Comment