Thursday, June 16, 2011

Finalization of Adoption

So today has been a glorious day.  It was our day in court to finalize our adoption.  We have been waiting for this day for so long.  I know most people are like man that went fast.  I just have to say No it Didn't.  It was a long 2 years trying to adopt and then the last 6 months have been torturous.  We just wanted to make Rachel a part of our family and move on with our life.  So this was the most joyous day for us.  They actually called us on June 8th to tell us that June 16th we finally had a court date.  We had to wait to get the paperwork in the mail to find out who exactly was going to be the judge.  So when we read that it would be The Honorable Cathleen MacGregor-Irby we were pumped.  We were told by the prosecuting attorney that this judge went through all the trials for Rachel and loves to see happy endings.  So we were happy she would get to see how this case ends.  So we showed up at 2:30 to met our lawyer, Joe Welch, for the first time.  We had only had a couple of conversations on the phone.  He is a short little guy but very nice.  He talked to my parents, Kammi, and us to explain the process.  Scott, myself and Joe then went off into the corner and he told us what questions he was going to ask us during the trial.  I decided that Scott should be the one that got to talk the most and I would try to keep Rachel quite. 

Check out my cute dress.  I look pretty!

Yes I like to climb all over the benches. 


Grandma Hobbs & Rachel. 


Reunion with the Foster Mom(Linda), Foster Dad(Stan) and Kim one of Health & Welfare's workers that helped Rachel during her time in Foster Care.  Rachel had so much fun showing off to them.  They were amazed by how much she was talking.


We ended up getting everyone into the courtroom at 3:00 and I had Rachel sitting in one of the chairs.  She wouldn't stay in her chair so she started climbing all over the place.  They were 15 minutes late getting started and so she was done by that point.  When the Judge came in she was watching Rachel as she was sitting on the table and said, "She is scaring me."  So I then tried to get her to sit in her chair but that only lasted seconds.  Everyone in the courtroom had to state their name and their relationship to us.  She told us this was supposed to be a closed proceeding but asked if we were okay with everyone that was there.  We said yes even though afterwards we were like well maybe we shouldn't have invited anybody who wanted to come down.  Next time we will be more selective.  Joe started to ask Scott the questions and I was trying to hear what was going on but I couldn't because of Rachel.  Then it was my turn to answer the questions.  Scott tried to hold Rachel but she was screaming.  I tried to give her fruit snacks and she didn't want that.  I then tried crackers and she didn't want that.  So next thing I know while I'm trying to answer questions, Rachel is running up on the stand to play with the flags.  Scott's at the bottom of the stairs trying to get her to come back down.  The Judge was like you can come get her.  It was pretty funny.  Joe then asked Katie about the Department's thoughts on us as the adoptive couple and she had really nice things to say about us. The Judge then talked to the Foster Parents and expressed her gratitude to them being willing to take such great care of Rachel.  I had to totally agree with her comments.  We love Rachel's foster parents and are so grateful that they will love and care for kids that don't the attention they deserve.

We were able to get pictures with the Judge.  Rachel wasn't very cooperative but we were able to get a couple good ones. 

 Picture with The Honorable Cathleen MacGregor-Irby.  She was so nice.


Left to Right: Kristin Negilski, Stan & Linda Peterson, Katie Phillip, (not sure this case workers name) Kim Shaffer, Jamie Hodgkins, Janiece Hunt, Scott and Rachel Schaffer; Kammi Nelson, Susan Schaffer, Sue Ellen Hobbs, The Honorable Cathleen MacGregor-Irby, Azlyn Mahem, Kathy and Wade Mooso, Dennis Hobbs, Cindy and Trevor Hall
 This is the group of people who were there to support us.  What a great group of family and friends.

We are truly blessed and grateful for everyone's prayers and support on our behalf.









1 comment:

Rita Peck said...

So happy for you guys. I can't imagine the emotional turmoil and wait. I am sure it is all worth it now that it is over. I am excited to hear about the temple next. That is my favorite sealing in the world...good luck!