Thursday, January 9, 2014

Adenoids Removal Surgery

Today was the day we have been waiting months for.  Rachel's been talking through her nose and clearing it after every few words.  It was so crazy.  We had talked to her pediatrician about it and they decided that since it was starting to affect her speech we should go see the ENT.  So there are only two in Boise.  The one is so busy that it would take months to get in to see her and I really hadn't heard anything great about her.  So I went to the other one.  His name was Dr. Robison.  I had read his profile online but thought nothing of it.  When he walked into the room to see Rachel I was like oh my heck I know you.  He looked at me and I reminded him we went to High School together.  I told him my name and he was like oh yeah that's right.  He then told me his twin brother is here in Boise being a Pediatric Orthopedic.  Doesn't surprise me that they are both doctors.  He looked at Rachel and listened to her talk and said that the adenoids should come out but that the tonsils don't need to since she has never had any sore throats.  We had to be at the hospital by 5:45.  We had let Rachel watch the tour of how surgery day was going to go and so she was pretty excited.  While I was checking her in Scott and her read books.
 This was the waiting room where we hung out for about ten minutes.
 Excited to read books.
 Not happy to get a picture but waiting.
 In her gown and hanging out in a really cool bed.
 The new stuffed animal that she got for having surgery.  She named it Pickles.
 Photo op with Mom.
 Photo Op with Dad
 The mask she got to decorate with stickers and put strawberry smell in it.  She also liked the hair net.  This was just before they rolled her away to get the adenoids out.  They told us she could either still be groggy when she comes out of surgery or she could be ticked off.  We weren't sure which one she would be.  We left and headed to the cafeteria to eat.  They had told us to go get it and come back but we were like we can eat in 15 minutes.  We were just eating the last couple of bites when we got paged back to the waiting room.  So we hurried back and they put us in a room to see the doctor.  He said everything was routine and she should get better quickly.  They then took us back to recovery and she was already awake.  How do you think our spitfire woke up?  Yep that's right she was ticked and unconsoled.  She was trying to get the IV out of her arm.  So Scott and I were tag teaming her with the nurse to get her to forget about it being in her arm.  We had to get her to drink some apple juice before we could get the IV out. 
 I didn't get a picture of when we 1st got into the room but after we finally got the IV out she calmed down just a little bit.  She was watching the Ipad and the TV at the same time in this shot.  She couldn't decide what she wanted.  She did start in on her oxygen meter next.  They were like okay you can go home.  I asked if we could stay until we get her calmed down.  They said yeah stay as long as you want.  She had remembered from the movie that there was supposed to be a play room.  Well the play room was in Pre-Op not Post-Op so she was ticked that she hadn't played in the play room.  She wanted to play in the play room and just kept crying over and over I want to play in the play room.  I did get her to finally cuddle with me and she fell asleep for about twenty minutes.  We then headed home and the whole way down to the car she was whining, "I want to go to the play room".  I thought she would go to sleep once we put her in the car but she didn't.  She was pretty subdued.  We stopped at clinic so I could get the attendance logs that I needed and then headed home.  She was awake most of the day.  Finally around 2:00 she asked me if I would cuddle with her.  I said as soon as I'm done talking to grandma Hobbs.  Next thing I knew she was on the couch out cold.  It was funny how quickly it finally happened.  It was a good thing because she was still pretty agitated at that point.
This is how you look when you wake up from a nap and you get a really cool present from you Grandma and Grandpa Schaffer.  She named this dog, Rue Dog.

No comments: