So on July 27th my father had kidney surgery in Salt Lake City. Scott had to work on the 26th and so Rachel and I ventured down to SLC by ourselves. I left work a little bit early and we stopped in Heyburn to eat dinner. We eventually made it down to Farmington around 8:00 to stay with my friend Mary Gamble. I don't get to see them very much but was grateful for her hospitality. So on the 27th my dad's surgery was scheduled for 8:30 in the morning but we were supposed to be at the hospital by 7:00. So I did my best to get there by 7:00 but as I was traveling to the hospital Dereck called and said he would have to be second on the surgery list. I was like great. So Derek, Paul, Kaylene, myself and my mom hung out with my dad. It was a boring wait and an even longer wait because the first surgery had complications so that wasn't good. At 12:15 my father still wasn't in surgery yet but I had gone to pick up Scott from the airport. Needless to say the day was long and exhausting.
Scott also got a call that day from ISU telling him that they had a full time position open up in the Nurse Practitioner program(he was 13th on the alternate list). He asked if he could think about it for awhile. He never thought he would get in and was going a different route. After lots of talking during the weekend with me and his parents he decided he would take it.
Well my dad's surgery took 6 1/2 hours. It was harder to get his dead kidney out then they had expected because it had so much scar tissue around and was inflamed. The other kidney had a mass on it and they froze it off and were hoping that it wasn't cancerous. On Friday they did confirm that it was cancer and he will have to go have a CT scan in 30 days and then once a year for the next five years to make sure it's gone. I feel pretty good about it but we will see what happens when 30 days arrive.
1 comment:
hope things work out for your dad. good luck with the nurse practioner program.
Post a Comment