Sunday, June 17, 2012

Strawberries, Strawberries, and More Strawberries

So I ordered strawberries from Zaycon.  Now looking back I'm so happy I split the order of strawberries with my friend.  I got home with my two flats of strawberries which equaled 16 pounds of strawberries and started to get the stems off of them.


 My whole thought when I bought these strawberries was to make jam with them.  Well I got going and ended up with 8 bowls of smashed strawberries for jam. 

I looked at this and thought I should have plenty of containers to put these in.  Well this is a picture of the bowls before I added the 4 1/2 cups of sugar to each of them.  Amazing what that much sugar will do to bowl of strawberries.  I had gotten through three bowls and was out of containers.  So I started to use all my empty butter and sour cream containers.  I used up all of them and ended up having to go to the store to buy some more containers.  When I finished this is what I had in strawberry jam along with really sore shoulders and arm muscles. :-)

There are 29 containers of jam.  I also ended up with a bowl of strawberries for strawberry shortcake for Scott's father day treat, and a quart bag of strawberries in the freezer.  If I hadn't split the strawberry purchase I would have had more strawberries coming out my ears than I would have known what to do with them. 

No comments: