Saturday, August 25, 2012

Garden

Our garden this year was interesting to say the least.  We ended up with lots and lots of green out there.

 Looks like the garden produced well doesn't it.  Yeah it looks better than it did.

 Our tomato plant didn't produce any tomatoes so we finally pulled it out.  Our cucumber had heat stress and so part of the cucumbers are bitter.  We actually cut off some of it by the stem and that seems to work so that the whole cucumber isn't bad.  Our corn didn't grow very tall and so we only ended up with one ear of corn per stalk.  Our lettuce went gang busters but we had no way to eat it all.  Our broccoli didn't produce because we found out that it grows best in cooler weather and not in the 100 degree weather we have been having here in Boise this year.  Scott's peas were awesome and he said they tasted great.  Last but not least my green pepper and jalapeno plant are so cute and have started to produce.  They are so cute but I'm not sure what to do now that my tomato plant and onions didn't produce so I can't make salsa.

 Our sunflowers are humungous.  They are still growing and are already about five feet above the fence.  It's so fun to see them and to finally see the yellow heads.

Here is my lonely onion.  I don't know why only one grew.  So weird.


 I went out to look at my cucumber and noticed that we actually had some broccoli growing that hadn't gone to seed.  I was happy and excited because we thought it wouldn't grow at all.  I guess a few nights of cooler weather finally helped it.
 So that's all the fun we had with the garden this year.  I hope some day I get better at this whole gardening thing.

1 comment:

Hollie said...

Make Jambalaya with your jalapeno and peppers. Its a rice mix and its so good with chicken, sausage (we like the sweet apple chicken sausage), peppers, onions and a jalapeno added to it. We put it on buttered bread. Spicy deliciousness.